Monday

Piglets'...Blood!


This past couple of weeks I ate soo much hot pot to the point where if you drew out my blood the amount of MSG in it would provide an excellent soup base in of itself. 

Speaking of which, I confess that pig's blood has got to be my all-time favorite hot pot dish.

When I went to Taiwan I noticed that the pig's blood there is less dense and lighter than the stuff sold here. Maybe it's the way the pigs are raised? They also prepare it al dente, that is, they tend to cook it until right up until it's fully cooked, so it's still slightly fleshy. I personally prefer to cook it to death so it's nice and thick and meaty. My favorite way to cook it is with some uber-fermented kimchi; the blood really absorbs the flavor well. If you've never seen raw pig's blood there it is glowing fire-engine red on top of the blue tray. 







































Doesn't it look like it could burn right through your stomach? Heh, this dish is definitely for you spicy-lovers.

Here's the recipe for my "Kimchi Pig's Blood Stew":

Ingredients

- very fermented kimchi (at least 3rd-4rth week old kimchi is ideal)
- half 1/3 lb sliced tripe
- 2 bunches of enoki mushrooms
- 1/2 lb cubed pig's blood
- 1 tbs garlic
- 4 cups chicken stock, miso soup or anchovy stock
- 1 cubed tomato (optional)

1) Boil about 4 cups stock/soup and once it's bubbling toss in the kimchi and tripe.
2) Wait til it starts to bubble again and then toss in the blood, mushrooms and garlic.
3) Let sit for about 8 min. Add more garlic or seasoning according to how you like it.

Easy, no? And wah lah, top it over rice and you have yourself a delicious meal. I like this dish not only for its huge pact of flavor but because it looks more complex than it really is. 


















- Angela

2 comments:

  1. :) taiwan hot pot places usually serve duck blood, it's softer and less dense than pig's blood

    ReplyDelete