Monday

Sweet and Spicy Octopus with Ginger Cod Fish Soup

This is my first time preparing octopus so I was extremely delighted when this was the final result-

This is my own recipe, so I dubbed it "Sweet and Spicy Octopus"- very to the point, no?


Here's a more generic Chinese dish, "Seafood Soup"- I'm horrible at name-giving. Anyways, I like to put my soups in tiny bowls so that the solids (vegetables, meat, fish, etc..) aren't visually overwhelmed by the vast body of stock. What do you think?

I was motivated to make this dish when I was strolling through the immaculate aisles of Asian grocery goodness at the local Korean market and saw this plastered against a freezer's glass window. It was leaning against the foggy glass glaring at me as if wanting to escape; so I decided to stir-fry it and free it of it's icy prison. Well, actually, I just got cocky and saw the picture of the dish on the box cover and told myself, "Pssh, I could do that!"- and indeed I could!



Somehow, after the octopus thawed and its floppy fleshyness became more apparent; I started to chicken out. But I treaded on..


This is where I got lost.. I wasn't sure how to gut the head..so I just yanked out all the insides (i think it includes the stomach and the brain..)...

I cut the tentacles into 1-inch pieces.


Sauce: 
1/3 cup Red Chili Paste
1/3 cup sugar or rice sweetener
3 tbs white vinegar
handful of chopped green onions (optional)
1 tbs sesame paste (optional)

Mix it all together thoroughly


Cook over a pan with some oil until it turns red-violet. Then toss in the sauce and lower the heat; add about 1/4-1/3 cup water (depending how thick you like it) and cook until the sauce thins and becomes homogenous.

Decorate with some shredded seaweed and toasted sesame seeds, and bam! 

No comments:

Post a Comment