Monday

Treats at School

In Korea, it's very common for staff members or parents of students to bring in treats to share with the staff. About once to three times a week there will be a little nugget of goodness waiting at my desk. Here are some treats from the past two weeks:

Rice Cake with Caramelized Walnuts (각색편)

I love the gluten-y texture of Korean rice cakes and this is one of my favorite kinds because it has an extra hint of sweetness from the caramelized center.

Juicy and Sweet Organic Tomato

Usually I don't eat whole large tomatoes as a snack but after this I think I will. It's quite refreshing.

Roll Cake layered with Strawberry Jam

The cake was utterly silky and heavier than I expected, like pound cake. Very satisfying.

Chocolate Covered Rice Cake Doughnut Hole

This is like an orgy of all my favorite sweets - chocolate and gluten. Addicting!

Multi-Grain Coffee Cake

The cake was very moist and had a wonderfully buttery and nutty taste.


Wrapped Rice Cake with Red Bean (쌈떡)

The rice cake part was actually a little savory and the red bean inside wasn't that sweet. It caught me off guard but I liked it.

Other common treats that are often passed out include pizzas, yogurt cups, cookies, vitamin drinks, a variety of other kinds of rice cakes, many other kinds of cakes and pastries, fresh fruit such as strawberries, grapes, and oranges, .

Thank you, Korea.

- Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment