Tuesday

Banana Yoshimoto & Building Bread w/ Matt

I remember the first few pages of Banana Yoshimoto's novella, "Kitchen" moved me to such nostalgic heights that I was compelled to write up my will and request that my funeral be held in a well broken-in Indian restaurant's industrial-sized kitchen where waffs of aged spices and armies of rusted kitchenware overwhelm the atmosphere.. and after reading it for the fifth time it's getting easier to imagine haha..

"The place I like best in the world is the kitchen. No matter where it is, no matter what kind, if it's a kitchen, if it's a place where they make food, it's fine with me".Me and my bro, Matt, are considerably different, but the one thing that thwarts our sibling rivalry is our comman desire to be knowlegable and active foodies. So when I asked him to help me make some Chinese-styled buns he looked up at me with cool eyes as if to say,"Why else would I ask you to come home?"



I was so incredibly relieved that the dough rose as much as it did, last time I tried to prepare yeast I killed it by mixing it with 'boiling' rather than warm water, which killed the yeast. So don't repeat my mistakes! To help it rise i left it in the garage where it was very warm.


Do you spot the piyo?

The result? Well, my folks seemed to like it but I wasn't satisfied. They were soft, sweet, and looked like buns you'd find at your local Asian bakery..but I guess it needed something to stand out..well, the mystery can be solved with a second trial!

-Angela



No comments:

Post a Comment