Monday

Homemade Kimchi and Stinky Tofu

See how happy Vick is to make kimchi? As a kimchi addict it makes me happy too.



I would like to briefly profess my love for kimchi; I eat it practically every other day as a soup seasoner, midnight snack (warning: this may lead to stellar morning breath), a sobering jolt in the senses after a hard night's drinking, and I apologize to my dormmates last year for stinkin' up the community fridge with my industrial size bucket of sour spicy goodness...

So here's the pepper, head of cabbage, salt for salt water, green onions, radish (optional), and preserved baby shrimp.. Let the cut cabbage soak in salt water for at least 6 hours, then mix in the rest of the seasonings

After about several days we got this:

Yea, it's definitely not gonna live to see tommorrow

More on pungent food-Stinky Tofu

I have never tried or seen stinky tofu in my whole life until my recent trip to 辣妹子 located at 8th ave and Clement street, SF.

Here's what we ordered:

Tan Tan Ground Beef Mein

Extra Spicy (as was illustrated by 5 red chilli peppers and exclamation marks on the menu) ST

Extra Spicy ST w/ Chili Oil and Meat
The first bite was overwhelming with extreme flavors and flame, :D . After a couple more bites I was kind of more fascinated with all the new flavors than with deciding whether or not I actually enjoyed them. Turns out I don't have the acquired taste for it but I'm very happy to finally be out of the dark about the often indescribable flavor of the popular streetstall treat.

- Angela

2 comments:

  1. i was reading that you're supposed to use iodine free salt. meaning pickling or sea salt.

    ReplyDelete